We have noticed you're currently using an old insecure version of
To provide you with the best user experience possible, you will need to update your browser to continue using this website.
Although not defined as a continent in its own right, the region between Colombia and the USA is often referred to as Central America. This includes the countries that connect the two landmasses together, such as Mexico, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
This region is particularly known for its Maya landmarks, many of which have stood for thousands of years and can now be explored by the general public. Many of the most well-known Maya landmarks, such as Chichen Itza, are located in Mexico, but you may not have known that there are many more significant sites to be discovered in Belize, Honduras and Guatemala.
One thing that is common across mainland Central America is the abundance of fantastic beaches. With golden sands and palm trees that sway gently in the breeze, it's easy to picture yourself here. But there's no need to imagine; our authentic Central America cruises and tours will allow you to discover all corners of this beautiful region.
Central America factfile
- There are seven countries in Central America: Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Panama. The population of Central America is approximately 41,739,000
- There is no spot in Central America more than 125 miles (200 kilometers) from the ocean
- Although Central America is a land bridge between North and South America, technically it is part of North America
- Belize is just 1195 square miles (1924 square kilometers) larger than El Salvador, but El Salvador has thirty times the population
- Central America extends on an area of about 540,000 kilometres² and a width between the Pacific ocean and Caribbean sea ranging from about 560 kilometres too about 50 km
- Spanish is the official language in six of the central american countries while in Belize its English.
- Christopher Columbus's first footsteps of American mainland where in Honduras
Sign up for our best offers